Winter Vegetable Soup
After the festivities of the winter holidays, and eating our hearts out with candy on Valentine’s day, it’s always a good idea to give your body a little bit of a break, and a boost, with a soup filled with warming vegetables and broth.
This recipe is deliciously simple, and can be made either with a traditional stove top method or with your instant pot!
Vegetable Soup Recipe:
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp, tomato paste
2 cups chopped cabbage
2 c. small cauliflower florets
2 carrots peeled and sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
4 c. low sodium vegetable broth
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
3/4 tsp. paprika
- 1. Set instant Pot to “Saute” and add oil, onion and garlic. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until onion softens (about 5 minutes). Add tomato paste and cook, stirring 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
2. Lock lid and set machine to cook at high pressure for 12 minutes. When finished, carefully turn steam valve to “venting” position to release pressure.
3. Stir soup and season with salt and pepper.
4. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil before serving.
Variations and Notes:
- 1. For a lower-carb variation, go ahead and omit the Kidney beans
2. Substitute bone broth for veggie broth any time!
3. You can add any veggies that you want! Especially ones that are about to turn.
4. For more substance, throw in your pasta of choice!